Many businesses traditionally close down over Christmas and the New Year, resulting in properties being left unoccupied for a lengthy period. Theft and bad weather present their own concerns and MPW suggests it is worth compiling a checklist to ensure you consider potential problems and put in place adequate protection allowing you to return to your business premises incident and claim free.
Although security remains a constant consideration, wintery weather may suddenly develop and catch you unaware. Recent reports suggest that UK forecasters are predicting weather will take a turn for the worse, with freezing temperatures and snowfall possibly on the way. Your broker should be offering you advice to ensure you do not get caught out.
MPW was founded as a specialist Construction Insurance Broker and over 25 years later they are still recognised as market experts. MPW are keen to share some preparation advice for construction site managers.
MPW’s Hints and Tips to prepare for the Winter Freeze:
- As a regulation, supply waterproof insulated overalls and thermal gloves to protect employees against harsh conditions that could affect their health and safety
- Remember low temperatures and wind chill can reduce alertness for those operating heavy plant or hazardous equipment
- Always ensure conditions underfoot are checked
- Provide adequate lighting for dark mornings and winter nights
- Provide high visibility clothing for dark periods of the day
There are also major concerns for van drivers so the following advice can help ensure their safety on the road this winter:
- Plan journeys around busy main roads as they are more likely to have been gritted
- Do a full winter check on your vehicle checking washer fluid, de-icer, and tyres
- Double the normal stopping distance from the vehicle in front
- Always carry an emergency kit so you are prepared for breakdowns. This should include a torch, blanket, food and water
- Ensure your mobile phone is charged in case of an emergency
With this in mind, careful planning will reduce the risk of accidents, and help to maintain a claim free driving record.
For further details and advice contact MPW directly on 01622 683913 or visit their website: www.mpwbrokers.com.