Lucas UK, a leading construction, fit out & finishing specialist based in Wrotham near Sevenoaks, has secured a seven-figure Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme (CBILS) loan from HSBC UK. The loan will enable the company to adapt its operations and support cash flow throughout the pandemic.
Lucas UK provides a wide range of specialist services including restoration work to listed buildings, high end fit-outs and major decoration packages. Its projects include The Shard, McLaren F1, Bloomberg and currently Battersea Power Station. The company initially saw projects put on hold and sales drop significantly. However, as the construction industry has begun to reopen, the business has had to quickly adapt to new procedures and complete its existing projects.
The business is using the HSBC UK loan to continue trading without losing staff members and to ensure the team can fully comply with new site safety measures that keep employees safe. It has also meant that Lucas UK has been able to maintain operations at offices and production facilities so it can quickly restart work.
Danny Lucas, Managing Director and Chairman at Lucas UK, said:
“As the pandemic took effect, we saw an immediate downturn in work as projects were postponed. The support HSBC UK has provided has ensured our overheads are paid and the jobs of over 200 employees and contractors are protected. The pandemic has pushed us to reconsider business plans around health, wellness and sustainability, and I’m excited to innovate in these areas going forward.”
Ian Nichols, Relationship Director, HSBC UK, commented:
“HSBC UK is delighted to support Lucas UK with significant funding under the CBILS scheme. The business has shown consistent growth over the past decade and a real dedication to innovation within its industry. Danny’s commitment to ensuring Lucas UK is at forefront of best practice and innovation in its industry is inspiring, as shown by COVID Secure status and “Stop the Spread”charitable initiative, amongst others.”
Since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, the company has launched several charitable initiatives, including partnering with paint company Dulux to recognise acts of kindness carried out by individuals and companies within DIY and construction throughout the pandemic. The company is also supporting the British Lung Foundation (BLF) through its “Stop the Spread” campaign, where it is manufacturing hand wash stations to keep construction workers safe as they return to work. They hope to raise £250,000 for the charity to support people who experience breathing difficulties from COVID-19.
HSBC UK is working closely with the Government and UK Finance to identify emerging issues and make sure customers and businesses have the advice and support they need. For tips and advice for businesses around planning for any possible disruption, visit www.business.hsbc.com/novel-coronavirus.
The new measures build upon the package of support that HSBC UK has already announced for business customers:
- Launched BBLS, CBILS, CLBILS and CCFF
- Allocated £5bn to help businesses that need support
- Removed the £100 Small Business Loan fee to relieve the pressure faced by SMEs across the country
- Removed informal overdraft fees – As of 1st April we will no longer apply any Informal Overdraft fees
- Offering repayment holidays to free up cash within businesses
- Stopped all unauthorised overdraft charges
- Reviewing overdrafts or trade loans to allow stock to be held for longer
- Offering companies involved in the supply and manufacture of ventilators preferential pricing, extended repayment terms on loans and fast track approval times to support the unprecedented demand on UK hospitals.
- We have also extended that support to customers that can give immediate help to essential public services and vulnerable people. We are contacting clients involved in the manufacture and supply of Personal Protective Equipment to offer preferential finance and, where possible, the direct purchase of supplies and equipment for essential public services.
- We will also offer similar terms to clients involved in the wholesale of food.
- Our relationship managers have been proactively contacting customers to see what help their businesses need.
- We’ve launched a coronavirus helpline to support any customer queries and a dedicated coronavirus hub on our website.
- For businesses trading internationally:
- £3bn to importers and exporters that need additional support
- pre-approved 60-day extensions on trade loans for customers with a sound trade loan/financing record
- a one-hour turnaround on the issuance of Shipping Guarantees, enabling customers to transfer or receive goods from their counterparty faster
- a dedicated helpline that connects directly with trade finance specialists (0800 783 1300, open 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday), in addition to the support being offered by relationship managers